Learning New English Comprehension At Kopitiam

In this blue & shiny morning, I went to a Koptiam at a residential & commercial area called Kota Sentosa, also known as 7th mile (not the supernatural Sentosa Island ya) to have my breakfast with my family during my holiday. What's the yummy yummy food which going to be my breakfast? Of course is my favourite and traditional hakka delicacy, Hakka Lui Cha (客家擂茶), more specific is called Hopo Lui Cha (河婆擂茶).






Hopo Lui Cha/河婆擂茶

In describe Lui Cha to be detail, best I take the sudah ada punya descriptions from this informative kuching food link:

*Lui Cha is basically a vegetarian dish that is mainly eaten by the hakkas but is now popular with all the other dialects as well. It consists of chopped/shredded vegetables in a bowl of rice and eaten with a thick herbal/vegetable broth/soup that is green in colour looking and smelling almost like a thick green tea! The name Lui Cha translated in hakka literally means ‘grinded tea’. The old fashion and time honoured way is to grind the herbs in a ceramic bowl with a wooden pastle. As it’s tedious work, most people just use the blender these days.

While I am waiting for my Lui Cha, sure I am looking around to fulfill my curiosity (masih budak tuk bah). I looked and looked, then I found a banner and its contents had made me paiseh in depth of my heart doubting of my proficiency in English, even though mine is ok ok nia lah, but still is University level right, Moi kau kau (don't play play in Hakka). Then I trying to figure it out and gorek-gorek inside my brain also can't comprehend the meaning of it. To settle this, I have to ask my eldest brother, Ah Chung (liang zai da ke) to clear my doubt about it. If not, when people do ask me about it, I don't know it will be very paiseh leh.
Ah Loon (Me): Ah Chung, want ask u ar, what is the meaning of hankering?
Ah Chung: Oh, is means feel a desire for or to do something. These are the meanings loh. Why you ask about this word?
Ah Loon: "Feel a desire for or to do something"? Wah, the meanings quite complex for me lah, patutlah I cannot understand leh. But why put hankering, the Kopitiam tiaw ka (boss) scared people fulfill their desire at his kopitiam? Fulfill desire in drinking and eating also cannot meh? If cannot, the Kopitiam must be declared bankruptcy already.
*If not that what it means, when thought of this Feel a desire... again, many images suddenly crossed over my mind that time. Oi oi oi, time to wake up! If not I might end up in breaking his kopitiam's regulation there.
Then why put "No. Hankering"?



Since the Chinese words are "禁止摆摊贩卖",should means "Prohibited of Hawkering" or "No Hawkering". If these meanings are not what the Kopitiam wanna express, then I believe what the Kopitiam tiawka really means is that he warning that its place is "Prohibited of Hawkering" in Chinese words (should be worry about people hawering there, selling Men's Power Boosting Accessories and then Lost Control...that's why he put NO. HANKERING in English). One Banner with dual languages supposely the same meanings but this case is dual meanings (save space, money and time).

Comments

1 Response to "Learning New English Comprehension At Kopitiam"

mysterious said... Wednesday, 26 August, 2009

hi

Post a Comment